Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Winter's Roads

I followed my head and heart today down the poetry trail. It lead me to
Winter's Roads
by Ron Carnell
About the Poem
The Winter of 1998 was the first time in over two decades that I found myself immobilized by heavy snow of Michigan. For three very long days. One result of that enforced isolation was a poem called Winter's Threads.

Not being one to repeat past mistakes (I much prefer the excitement of making new ones), I packed my motor home the day after Christmas, 1999, with the intention of spending winter in California. I made it only as far as Louisiana, where I stopped to visit family (and instead became involved with family). Nonetheless, I stayed warm, renewed some familial bonds, and learned I'm really not very well suited to the travelling life.

Eight weeks later, with warm weather breaking in Michigan, I again headed North. While on the road, with little else to occupy my mind, I penned this sequel to Winter's Threads. And like its precursor, the poem is less about Winter and more about the choices we make in life.
Having read this introduction, if you want to read his poem, it is here.

1 comment:

  1. But all roads lead to where we go
    And where we go is where we've been,
    So home is just a word we know,
    That space in time most apropos
    For where we want to be again.

    Oh yeah. On definitely, yeah. Made me think of Christmas 1964, the most fairytale Christmas I ever had as a young person. Oh, to be there again...but as that isn't possible, I'll try to be part of creating such a wondrous Christmas for someone else.

    ReplyDelete