Monday, August 3, 2009

A Pail of Air


I got into a discussion recently with a friend, who asked what I thought would happen if the Earth were snagged by a rogue wanderer, captured from our calm orbit and pulled out into the cosmos of dark and death. Immediately, my thoughts ran directly to the story "A Pail of Air" by Fritz Leiber, which was indelibly etched on my brain from when I read it during my grade school years. You can see the book cover above, from the paperback collection of his stories that contained the piece.

In this link from Wikipedia, you can find links to the text of the story and to the radio dramatization audio file from the old "X Minus One" series from NBC Radio.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how Leiber might rework his story today given a little better knowledge of what is more likely to happen if the earth is pulled from its oprbit around the Sun. I need to read this one as it sounds interesting, especially for the time in which it was written. I am still, however, a big Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robeert Heillein fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the story from the links given. Who knows what changes technical knowledge might have given him? I think your keyboard got stuck on Robert Heinlein's name. ;)

    ReplyDelete